Q: Who am I; Who am I created to be?
Purpose of the Masks:
- To change your identity. At church you look like a Christian; Around non-Christians you blend in just fine. You wear your mask to “fit in” – Just like the chameleon, you secure your mask in place because you want to blend into your surroundings.
- To hide your identity; You don’t want people to see the ’real’ you. You put on the mask as a way of hiding who you really are.
Truth about the masks:
- None of the masks you wear are remotely close to who you are.
- None of the masks you wear are remotely close to who God created you to be
#1 – 1 John 1:8-10 – You are not perfect!!!
- Sin is ugly
- We are all sinners
#2 – You do not have all the answers. It is okay to admit you need help!! It is okay to not have it all together. Proverbs 3:5-6
- Lean on God!!! Don’t pretend
- Lean on God’s provision. If you are asking for help, be sure that the advice you are getting in centered on God’s Word.
#3 – You are not like anyone else!!
- The Barnabas effect…Trying to do what someone else has done to get the recognition someone else has received for their own efforts
- The danger of imitations – You go through the motions without any ‘meaning to it’ – Matthew 6 is all about Hypocrites
- Matt. 6:2 – Giving JUST to be seen
- Matt. 6:5 – Praying JUST to be seen
- Matt. 6:16 – Fasting JUST to be seen
Have you ever tried to imitate the spiritual actions of someone else? How did that work out for you?
#4 – You are an unfinished product!! Philippians 1:6; Philippians 3:12
- Are you satisfied with where you are spiritually? It’s okay, God knows where He is taking you. Becoming Christ-like is an ongoing journey – it is never ending. So guess what, you can go ahead and take your mask off!! Show me the real you. The unfinished you, the unfinished me.
Won’t you make the decision today to take the mask off and free yourself?
Most Precious Lord Jesus, Gentle And Wonderful God, Truly Awesome And Ever-present Holy Spirit,
I know you are with me Lord.
I can sense your love when I am alone or when I am with others.
Your Spirit falls heavily on me when I am in my prayer time or when I am doing nothing at all.
Keep me from being selfish and sinful.
Keep me from letting my pain, suffering, and problems interfere with my ability to walk and talk with you.
When I am tempted to turn away from you, move me back to your side.
When the attractions of the world scream at me to forget about you, move me to be humble, kind, caring, and loving with others.
When I feel imprisoned, show me the way to freedom is through you.
Show me true freedom comes about only when I surrender all I have up to you.
Show me true freedom comes to me only when I fall at the foot of your cross in humble service and in contrite spirit.
When I want to go my own way, show me your way.
When I want to walk my own path, show me your path.
All these things I humbly pray in the name of my most Blessed Lord Jesus Christ, my Mighty God, and my Ever-present Holy Spirit upon whom I can rely.
Being Michelle…On Purpose